Artificial intelligence is changing the world in a number of ways than one can imagine by having a successful impact on both individual life and business, now entering the education and learning department.
Right now, it is superficial and slow, but experts say it will enhance the learning experience for students and teachers soon.
AI and Higher Education need to be more practical because teaching and learning are entirely different departments in education. Artificial intelligence in education is two-dimensional, meaning it is more software-based than robotics.
Teachers and students need clarification about the proficiency and future of AI. Most experts considered AI a tool rather than a teacher replacement.
They have focused on five essential points in higher education that are
(3) AI Assistant
(4) Intelligent Tutoring System (ITS)
(5) Managing Student Learning
What are the benefits of AI and Higher Education?
AI proposed a series of benefits to education departments. The prominent ones are ease of access, personal evaluation of students, and fast assessments of discussions.
Students and teachers can take full advantage of AI as it creates a platform where anyone can conveniently interact and clear their queries.
Other benefits of AI are as follows.
- Personalization: The system identifies the students and caters to their problems according to their performance and learning pattern. Some universities use facial recognition to become more familiar with students’ issues. Students can create a bubble where they can interact with professors directly. AI and Higher Education combination can also help universities design their road map for the semester.
- Tutoring: AI can also act as a teacher by revisiting millions of papers and documents. It will also tell you the pattern and weak points so a student can improve and learn more proficiently.
- Grading: When you have many papers for grading and assessment. It is difficult for a human to be neutral and just. AI proposes a system based on students’ performance and behaviors. By this, thousands of papers will be graded in no time.
- Feedback: This is the most essential point in learning and researching. AI has so many tools that can help you create, check and improve content by assessing them to old published papers. A student or teacher also has a clear view of a specific topic.
- Prediction of Student’s Grade: This is the incredible advantage of AI. It will assess students’ group interactions, questioning skills, attempted exams, and other behavioral patterns to predict their grades or position in the class.
- Availability: AI’s ‘anytime-anywhere’ assistance is beneficial, especially for large-scale online learning platforms and distance education, helping students stay engaged and connected.
AI Applications — Changing Nature of Higher Education
We are at the dawn of a new era in higher education, and AI is leading the change. There are so many tools and applications through which students and teachers enhance their learning experience. Some of them are at their initial stages, but they are producing significant results.
Some of the standard applications are as follows:
For Enrollment and Retention
AdmitHub software acts as a chatbot and helps students with admission retention and enrollment. Enrollment needs many steps and information; sometimes, students need clarification. This AI will help campus and students to interact and solve their problems without any human counselor.
It uses Google Duplex software to become student-friendly. AdmitHub uses social media and other interactive applications to send important information. It also has a unique interface that will send them personalized reminders, important campus alerts, and occasional check-in messages to help them feel a sense of belonging.
To Perform Tasks
Shadow Health is a unique AI tool allowing new nursing or medicine students to perform better. It will schedule appointments or provide fake or AI-based actors to experiment with them. This is a common practice in medicine; students need help finding a perfect subject to perform.
E-Coach is another AI-based tool that helps you to perform mathematical STEM (Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) problems. It activates different activities and sessions that enable students to learn more insights into algebra, geometry, and theorems.
Assessment of Students
Assessment can be important for teachers when students are in significant numbers. To narrow them down and give honest results, Gradescope is used by many universities. This AI tool assesses the student’s performance in group discussions, narrows the common or same answers by different students, and generates a result that deposits the actual skills of a student in the class.
M-Write is another tool that gives a detailed report on students’ assignments and behaviors. It identifies students’ weak points and offers tips and tricks to improve them. Perceptive is an AI tool that grades and assesses long essays and projects of students and helps teachers to skim their skills and strengths.
To Help Discussions and Interactions
It is difficult for a professor to check to keep attention on every student, so students are reluctant to ask questions and queries. To overcome this, Jill Watson was invented. This is a chatbot that can solve complex and challenging course problems as well as help students with better understanding.
Packback has gone to market with an AI application that monitors discussion boards for student engagement, helps students ask open-ended questions, and tracks their curiosity. It is also assisting students with a better understanding of AI and higher education.
To Counsel Students
What is a roadmap after the degree? Stellic has degree plans based on career templates of former students, projects the effects of changes on their graduation rate, and communicates changes to academic advisors. It can flag at-risk students and maintain a real-time student profile. Its first contract with Elon University is a success.
In conclusion, AI and higher education go side by side. Its capability to personalize learning, enhance administrative efficiency, and prepare students for a rapidly evolving job market makes it a powerful ally.
With careful implementation and ethical consideration, AIthinkbot can undeniably transform higher education for the better, pioneering the future of learning in extraordinary ways. Like other industries, AI is getting intense in education and learning processes.
Students are skeptical about AI’s role in learning because it may replicate humans into robots or tools. Around 61 percent of students think ChatGPT and similar devices will become the new normal.
Most students use ChatGpt, Grammarly, quillbot, semantic scholar, and Knewton to create content and assignments.
AI solves several modern education challenges, such as decreasing the technology gap between students and teachers, keeping the learning system transparent, allowing more learning, and increasing quality data and information solutions for the education process.